Thursday, August 12, 2010

Who are we?

Two things keep popping up a lot here lately... One is to have a mission statement about homeschooling. Why do we homeschool? Something that we can look at on the hard days to give us that bit of encouragement to keep going on. The other is this 30 day journey about praying for your daughter. Secret Keeper Girl has really started making me examine my family's life more. I think a mission statement about homeschooling is a great idea, but what about a mission statement for your family? It goes hand in hand with the simple life. It's easy to list your priorities, but it's another to actually do them in that order! What I'm liking about SKG is that it's all about modesty and embracing God's values. SKG Website is full of things that focus on modesty, by God's standards.

The last few days of SKG's blog have been about media and our daughters. Miley Cyrus has been talked about, as well as things that hold our daughter's attention and keeps her eyes off of Jesus. Mainly things seen on TV that promote unhealthy body image. Since this has been an area of focus these last few days I'm seeing things in a whole new way. Commercials that I didn't think twice about, I question how to avoid. Things that I see on TV that I had taken on the mindset of "no I don't approve, but oh well" I've started seeing how wrong that has been. We are bombarded by unhealthy, unholy images EVERYWHERE! Do I want that for my daughter? Granted my oldest is only 7, but everywhere we look we see Miley Cyrus dancing inappropriately or a commercial that shows women in their underwear. Do I want that for my 7 year old? Don't even get me started on my other kids! I appreciate the SKG's blog that has kinda set the wheels turning. I think it's time to come up with a mission statement that we can put into practice. It's time to quit just talking the talk and start walking the walk! Stand up for what you believe in! Keep your children pure and young and don't give in to the media... Or anything else you don't believe in for that matter. If it means limiting the time spent watching TV, listening to the iPod, playing on the computer, do it! I don't want a 13 year old that dresses like a 20 year old and the best time to start instilling good, wholesome values is NOW!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...