Thursday, October 7, 2010

Truthfulness

I know it's been a while since I've updated and I fully intend to recap this week's schooling. Just not tonight. And quite possibly not until Monday. But I will get to it.

Tonight I wanted to blog about a conversation my husband and I had with our children the other day. After a lot of prayer and conviction we finally decided to be truthful with our children. We had decided months ago that we would not be celebrating Halloween, no trick-or-treating or anything like that. I was relieved when we decided to set our foot down because last Halloween we did trick-or-treat... and the whole time I felt guilty and wrong. I wanted our children to understand why we decided that it was something we didn't want to participate in. We shared with them some information about Halloween's beginning- which to save time I am not sharing links, but there is certainly enough information out there for you to draw your own conclusion- and about some of the "bad" that goes on today at Halloween time (ghosts, goblins, egging people's houses, witches, etc...). Our simple answer though, as to why we won't celebrate: Jesus isn't there. With other holidays you can at least find Jesus somewhere (I mean, He IS Christmas and Easter), but not Halloween. Surprisingly the kids are okay with that. They'll get plenty of candy anyway- there's always the 50% sale the day after! Haha!

We didn't stop with Halloween though. We told them the truth about Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. They never did believe in the Easter bunny. We had a good laugh about how Daddy was the real Santa Claus and I was the real Tooth Fairy. We even talked about how we can still "pretend" if we wanted to and leave cookies out. My oldest said we'd just put them by Daddy's bed and he could share with me. It was a sweet moment and I'm sure I'll remember this conversation forever. There's something awesome about knowing you are being 100% honest with your children. I think it's a personal decision you have to make for your family, but for our family this was the right one! I'm excited about going through the holiday season with no lies. It will allow us to truely focus on the One that matters. Jesus IS the reason for the season. Every season. Every day. Every holiday. Everything! We ended our talk about how Jesus is real and ways we can know He is real! Can I get an amen?!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...