Monday, January 24, 2011

Sugar, Sugar

Ok, we are on Phase 2 of The Maker's Diet. It's been going well, but it's also been sparking more research on my part. My topic? Sugar. Yep, sugar. I have never really paid that much attention to sugar- if I counted anything it was calories. Truthfully, I'm not sure what sparked this interest, but it's there! I've been researching... Seems that I find varying amounts of the "recommended" amount, but overall I see 8-10 teaspoons as being the "right" amount- as in- no more than... Now, this seems to exclude your natural sugars: those found in milk, fruits, and veggies. Strictly processed sugar. Added sugar. So you think 8-10 teaspoons is a lot, right? I did! But get this... Check this out!

So, last night the hubby and I decided to find out just how much sugar was in a couple of candy bars and some soda. WE WERE SICKENED to find out! I actually counted out the teaspoons of the white stuff so we could see the comparison... A easy way to find out how many teaspoons are in each gram simply divide by 4. So, if you have something that is 32 grams of sugar, you'd have 8 teaspoons of sugar. Um... yeah... Go check it out.

Ok, so now what? Well, I don't know. I mean, you COULD go throughout your cabinet and fridge and throw EVERYTHING out that's "bad"... You know, with ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, or just "sugar". You could throw thigs out that have a high sugar content. Or you could do like we're doing and taking it slow. My first step was to be aware. I checked EVERYTHING in my pantry, cabinet, and fridge and put a big "X" on them if they were "bad for us". Will we use them? Possibly. Will I buy more? Probably not. I also found the biggest offenders in my house, yogurt and ketchup. Now that I have his knowledge I'll find a better, healthier alternative.

Is this a slow process? Yes! I'm told that it's better to wean yourself off of sugar than to quit cold turkey. Plus, I can't just throw everything out. And there is SO much to learn about sugar! Sugar has MANY different names! My husband asked me if it was possible to cut out ALL sugar? He said "don't we NEED some sugar"? Honestly, I'm not sure if you could cut ALL sugar out... but I know that some sugar is okay *if* it is coming from a natural source. Explains why eating NATURALLY is the BEST thing to do! Eating an apple or an orange will give you MANY nutrients. That's something that the pre-packaged overly processed sugar-laden orange slices can offer! So... think about it?

Oh... and before I forget... We used the sugar lesson in school today! I had the kids find some of their favorite foods and we compared how much sugar "per day" versus how much sugar was actually in the items! I think it really opened their eyes because Mistic said she wanted to have a healthy week next week- with no sugar! Good for her!



6 comments:

Theresa said...

Stopping by from the Hop! Thanks for your thoughtful comment!

I love how you integrated what you are interested in into school and got the kids involved!! Tackling something like that, as a family, and making the kids aware young is a great thing!!

Jennifer said...

Great lesson, I just may have to do that one with my children.

Debra said...

Way to go, Mistic.

Amie said...

Its so true. Sugar is everywhere and the more negative health problems that stem from sugar, the more we weed it out from our diet.
Amie--from the HHH

Jamie said...

I am over form the HHH.I never really thought about how much sugar is really in our evreyday foods,thanks.

NerdMom said...

Stopping by from the hop! I am so in denial about sugar;). It is great that you could turn it into a nice science project!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...