Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Agave Nectar Vs. HFCS

Is agave nectar good for you? That's a big question. Ask one person and they are liable to tell you that agave nectar is no better for you than high fructose corn syrup (hfcs). Ask someone else and it's quite possible they will disagree with that! Since I'm not a doctor, don't have any medical training, and do not play one on TV, I will simply give you my opinion. Do you own research and come up with your own opinion.

Agave nectar is a sweetener. Honey is a sweetener. Sugar is a sweetener. Stevia is a sweetener. HFCS is a sweetener. So what's the deal?

1. A sweetener is still a sugar. Go easy on them! Even the "natural" sugars! They are STILL a sugar. Sure, maybe they are lower on the glycemic index, but remember "all things is moderation".

2. How were they processed? Undeniably honey right out of the hive is far better than honey that's been heated and processed. The nutrients are still there in the raw honey. Same thing with the other sugar! High-fructose corn syrup is a highly processed sweetener. Your white table sugar has also been processed and bleached. Anything that has less processing is better. Anything closer to its natural state is best. Agave nectar and even Stevia can be overly processed. Did you know that Stevia is actually green? Well, the Stevia I have is white! (You live and you learn!) The problem that I see in the big AN vs HFCS debate is in the processing. AN that has been carefully prepared versus the HFCS that has been processed and taken further from it's natural state.

Why I chose to eat foods that do not contain HFCS?
Hi, my name is Erika and I read labels. Any processed foods that have a shorter ingredient list is most likely better for you. Most of your foods that contain HFCS have a lengthy ingredient list. And I still believe that the HFCS is overly processed. So we do our best not to eat them.

Will I still use agave nectar?
Yep! Why? Because it's a more natural sweetener. I will also use my raw honey and Stevia (though I'd like to do more research on a 'better' Stevia). I will use them in moderation and strive to eat more non-processed foods. Foods in the raw state (or at least as close to natural) are better! Period!


Agave Nectar versus High Fructose Corn Syrup Do your own research!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...