Thursday, February 3, 2011

Malto-what?

I was so happy when I looked at my Hidden Valley Ranch powder and saw that there were zero grams of sugar. I read the ingredient list and didn't see any sugar, corn syrup, or those pesky "ose" ending words (sucrose, fructose, dextrose). I thought I had really hit on something- especially since the ranch dressing we usually used had sugar actually listed as an ingredient! I thought I could just add some homemade (no refined sugar!) yogurt and sour cream to the mix and be good. Right?

I DON'T KNOW!!!

I wanted to know What Is Maltodextrin. Get this! It's a SWEETENER derived from cornstarch! Same thing that HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP is derived from! I'm pretty sure that the fact that it's chemically processed means that it is not a natural sweetener.

Then another ingredient that caught my attention was: monosodium glutamate or MSG. We KNOW that this ingredient isn't good!

The other ingredient that I saw- at the very end of the list- is carboxymethyl cellulose. WHAT?! I googled it- and still don't REALLY get it- but I think it has something to do with a sugar beet! (Not surprising since it does have the "ose" ending) *sigh*

I came to the conclusion that this "alternative" I had came up with really isn't a good alternative after all... So I'll look for recipes that I can spice up myself the next time I want a veggie dip.

Unfortunately, I did enjoy some today, but no more... Because it isn't naturally sweetened. And it's got a bunch of other "bad for me" junk.

1 comment:

Savannah Montgomery said...

I love to use hummus as a veggie dip. You can buy it or make it. If I dont make my own I buy a mix from the co op. I have played around with different herbs and spices in the hummus. If you are busy you can use the mix and just add hot water and garlic thyme and parsley and have a wonderful dip in just a few minutes. You can buy premade hummus but have to be careful about preservatives and it really isnt quite the same as homemade.

Heres the recipe I like to use :
http://tinyurl.com/kjcf5w

This is an authentic recipe. It seems a little complicated at first but once you become familiar with it it's not so bad. This site also has some really good variations. I hope it helps. Hang in there. I admire your quest to go natural. :)

Savannah

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...