Wednesday, February 9, 2011

No refined sugar grocery shopping

Definitely getting easier looking out for all the refined sugars. It's been a fun challenge to find replacements for favorite foods. I went grocery shopping today and thought I'd share some of my findings.

Note: Some of these are not free from refined sugars, they are simply some of the healthier options for my family. Items with *** are ones that I found with no refined sugar.

Hotdogs
Instead of Ball Park Franks which has corn syrup and 3 grams of sugar, opt instead for Hebrew National with 0 grams of sugar. ***

Cereal
Instead of Fruit Loops where the first ingredient listed is sugar - plus 12 grams of sugar and tons of artificial junk- try something like Kix which has sugar listed as the 3rd ingredient, but the overall ingredient list is short and simple. Plus it only has 3 grams of sugar listed! Or something like rice chex which has sugar listed as the 2nd ingredient but only 2 grams of sugar!

Snacks
Try Kashi Heart to Heart Whole Grain crackers. ***

Teddy grahams are a lot better than chips, but Goldfish are great! They contain less than 2% of sugar! I like both of them because they don't contain artificial colors, flavors, or other junk!

Hummus is good. I picked some pre-made up- couldn't ever find tahini paste to make my own. I also picked up pita chips for the family and Rice Works Gourmet Brown Rice Crisps *** for me!

Another yummy snack is corn chips (read the ingredients) and salsa! No refined sugars if you look!

Of course, nothing can replace fresh fruits and veggies! Grapes were on sale- oranges, strawberries, and bananas were also purchased! Salad mix, celery, and bell peppers were also bought! Yum-O!

Oh... one more thing... with Valentine's Day right around the corner let me share our menu. Whole wheat pizza (possibly in the shape of a heart) for dinner, strawberry muffins (with carefully researched ingredients) for breakfast, agave nectar grain-sweetened chocolate chip cookies for dessert (if it's good I will share the recipe!), and then for a special treat... homemade jello! Instead of the store-bought jello that has no nutrition and lots of artificial colors, we purchased plain gelatin and cherry flavored Juicy Juice. *** No added sugar, no added junk. It's perfect for a special treat!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...