Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Why did you have kids?

As I sat watching my 7 year old daughter vacuum the dining room I thought about the phrase "that's why I had kids". You've heard it... Somebody says something to the effect of "my son/daughter did an excellent job tonight cleaning up after dinner. I'm so proud of them". And it never fails that SOMEONE (I've been there too!) replies "great! After all, isn't that why we had them?" All joking aside though, why DID you have kids? Did you have them just so you didn't have to do ALL the work around the house. Let's face it, it's REALLY nice to have extra hands chipping in with the housework. I had kids because I love kids and I wanted to have some of my own. Never was the idea there that I could have them to be my little maids. So... should we not expect them to help out? NO WAY!!! It's OUR job to equip them with all the skills they need so when they grow up they can take care of themselves. I personally think that as soon as they start walking is a great age for them to start helping. I guess you could chalk this post up to mindless chatter, but it really does intrigue me. It seems that some people DID just have kids so they didn't have to do everything. To some, kids (even their own) are just a pain. Something they have to deal with. It shouldn't be that way. Children are a gift from God and trust me, THEY didn't ask to be stuck with an unloving, uncaring parent. Give your son or daughter an extra hug, keep teaching them how to become a responsible capable person, and LOVE THEM! Don't expect them to do EVERYTHING, teach them how to chip in and help! All 6 of us cleaned the house Saturday and not once did I hear a complaint! Maybe it's because they can tell the real reason I had kids.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Brandon says it is for tax purposes.
LOL :)

Erika said...

LOL! If only it was THAT easy!

nomad said...

Three or four years ago at a parent/teacher conference, a mother of four children, one of whom was a student of mine, said, "I wish this one here had never been born. He is nothing but trouble." Honestly, my first reaction was ANGER! I was at the time having surgeries and going through treatments to have a child of my own. Then, after thinking about myself, I tried to think of it from his perspective. Wow! No wonder he was angry. No wonder he was distant. No wonder he seemed to have given up on life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...