Saturday, July 30, 2011

Why I Homeschool, Reasons 6

I was reminded of another really great reason why I homeschool today.

Investment: Yes, homeschooling is an investment!

in·vest·ment

noun /inˈves(t)mənt/ 
investments, plural

1. The action or process of investing money for profit or material result

2. A thing that is worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future

3. An act of devoting time, effort, or energy to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result

Investment!

Let's take definition number one. Investing money for profit or material result. Granted, most home educators don't invest their money in curriculum for a profit. Instead, our investment comes in a material result. We can see our children learn and grow.

How about definition number two. Something that is worth buying because it may be useful in the future. If you're like me, you invest in a good curriculum because it will not only be useful now, but for future children. What reminded me of this reason was all the back to school shopping and the cost associated with it. We do have some typical back to school shopping costs- I usually buy new markers or crayons, Kleenex, paper, etc... but my cost is nothing like a public or private schooler. I don't have to buy school clothes, or if you are like some, uniforms, that they can only wear this year. I don't have to buy enough of "x" for the whole classroom. My cost is simply for what I need, now, at this very moment. My cost for curriculum is something that I chose to invest in- for now and for the future.

Now, I found definition three very fitting. "An act of devoting time, effort, or energy to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result." Devoting time, effort, or energy into our children should definitely be something we expect to have a worthwhile result. By investing wisely we are getting everything back! Even our school costs are worth the investment!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...