Monday, September 5, 2011

Getting ready for week 2

I believe we had a great first week. I'm so thankful that nobody cried and nobody is dreading tomorrow. I'm also thankful that we had a four day weekend! I sat down this evening to go over my lesson plans (I wrote them out for the next two weeks) and highlight items in the teacher's guide that I didn't want to forget.

A couple things I'm going to do differently this week:

Find my own memory verses. The ones in the curriculum are all well and good, but they don't work for us. This week I have two different memory verses. One for Faith and Aspen and one for Mistic. These are the verses that they copy during the week and of course, memorize. I'm sure I could have gotten by with just one verse, but I wanted something short enough for the younger two- especially since they'd be copying it- but long enough for the oldest. Technically, Mistic will be learning 3 verses, but they flow easily.

Adding additional memory work this week. We all will be working on memorizing the books of the Bible. We're starting with the New Testament because that's what we talked about on Sunday. Plus, we already know a few of the Old Testament.

Something else I'm doing differently is working on 2nd grade cursive with Mistic instead of 3rd. To me, this isn't really a grade thing. We just so happen to be starting cursive in 3rd grade, but the Abeka writing sheets are too tiny and too in depth for a beginner learner whereas the 2nd grade writing sheets are more on target for us. I'm thankful I accidentally bought the 2nd grade cursive book, it wasn't on my list! But it's coming in handy now!!!

There's also a few little things that need to be worked on- mainly learning the facts. Just knowing the basic 1+3=4 will come in handy and help us with the rest of our work.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to not rely strictly on bookwork and curriculum. I want more from our home education and thanks to The Homeschool Lounge I've been given several resources to check out. I don't want to replicate the public school experience and I don't want to spend tons of time on work sheets. In addition to that I want to really dig deep and learn.

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions on my struggling reader! I love the fact that I can customize her learning experience. Tomorrow she begins using a reader and instead of using the one for 2nd grade we're backing her up towards the end of 1st grade. However, it isn't the very first 1st grade reader. It's just where she's at!


3 comments:

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

The beauty and the challenge is personalizing everything to suit your famliies needs. Sounds like you all are off to a wonderful start!

Rhen @Yes, they are all mine said...

Isn't it wonderful to be able to customize their curriculums to their personal learning needs?! Awesome job, momma!

MomLaur said...

Bookwork is so easy to fall into, but tends to be boring for the poor kids - well, unless they absolutely LOVE it :D Thanks for sharing what you're doing! (visiting from Hip Homeschool Hop)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...