Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Think.

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Philippians 4:8
How does this verse apply to me as a

Woman:Who is my role model? Am I ugly? How am I dressing?



As a woman, there are a lot of questions that cross through our minds. Maybe we were out grocery shopping and the cover of a latest magazine caught our attention. The woman on front is beautiful (so we think) and we're intrigued by the article that promises that we can lose 10lbs in 5 days. We look at the woman and ponder if we could pull off that look or maybe we buy the magazine for the article or the hair style (you know, our stylist could definitely give us that hair style!


But are theses things really what we ought to be focusing on?

Wife:Do I completely love my husband? Do I support him? Are my thoughts of him good or bad?


Do we get caught up in all the things our husbands do wrong? Do we tend to bring up "issues" from the past? Do we nag? 



Mother: Do I discipline enough? Not enough? Do I lose control and scream and yell? Do I watch my words and make sure they build my child up or do I say whatever comes to my mind (and have to apologize later)?

  • True
  • Honest
  • Just
  • Pure
  • Lovely
  • Good report
  • Virtue
  • Praise
THINK OF THESE THINGS
As a woman, a wife, or a mother these are the things we are to think of. 
Really and truly these are the only things we need to think of.
Is the outfit that I'm wearing virtuous? Instead of oohing and aahing over an outfit that we see on some model or actress, why not focus on what we do have and making sure it doesn't cause someone to stumble? 
Am I spending too much time trying the latest fad diet or figuring out how to improve my look? How can I be thinking of things that are true, honest, just if I'm more concerned over myself?
Am I praising my husband and children? Instead of letting negative thoughts control my actions. 
True. Honest. Just. Pure. Lovely. Good report. Virtue. Praise.

GOD.
If we are spending our time and thoughts to focus on God, things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good report, virtue, and praise- we won't have time to be filled with negativity about the way we look, we won't have negative thoughts about our husbands, or uncontrolled frustrations about our children. 
We'll be better women, wives, and mothers.


 

1 comment:

The Every Day Extraordinary said...

I'm a yeller sometimes--so working on it. Loved these gentle reminders/questions that I need daily reflection on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...