Friday, September 2, 2011

Week in Review

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week…

I did more baking and plan on adding even more baking next week! All in an effort to eat better! We also started our homeschool year. Thankfully, it went well! We visited our local libraries story hour- we were the only ones there. It was interesting to say the least. It was the first time this lady had ever done story time and it was suppose to be geared to preschoolers. She was happy though to read any books my kids picked out. I hope though, that more preschoolers come next week. My older kids were just suppose to "be there". It'd be nice if the story time grew and met her goals!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

Prepare for the unexpected! Let's see, this week we had our refrigerator worked on, painting on a room in the mission, extra errands that popped up, and the Dish installed. My schedule that I made last weekend was kept only loosely and there were a few changes of plans. But we survived. Because with homeschooling you can be flexible! You should be flexible.

My favorite thing this week was…

My preschool time with my youngest. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spending time with all my kids and I thoroughly enjoy teaching them. But there's just something special about watching a 3 year olds mind grasp concepts and knowing that you are making an impact! Plus, my three year old is full of personality and cuteness! That helps a little!!!

Questions/thoughts I have…

What's the best method for teaching a struggling reader? Repetitiveness? Flashcards?

I’m grateful for…

...being able to homeschool. This is a big deal. When the hubby and I first met, I didn't think he'd be on board to homeschool. When we did my oldest during preschool and first part of K, he was okay with me homeschooling, but didn't really have an opinion himself. However, since then, my hubby is on board 100%! And that matters! BIG TIME!!! SO yeah, I'm thankful for being able to homeschool, which is really appropriate since we just completed our first week!

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…


My oldest learned cursive for the first time this week. She's been so eager to begin cursive writing and for the most part she's happy with it. I love how happy this is! (Her letters are in green)

2 comments:

Our Side of the Mountain said...

Stopping in from THMJ! Struggling reader? My 6-year-old is a struggling reader due to visual tracking issues from his SPD. Slow-and-steady! (Kind of like Slowly Natural, huh? LOL) We're using Hooked on Phonics: Learn to Read Levels 1-5. It took us 8 months to get through the first level, averaging less than a page a page. And reading TO THEM helps a bunch! All the best!

Adena said...

I agree with your thoughts on teaching preschool, it's my absolute favorite year. I did some preschool with my youngest last year and this year doing more what I guess you would call K4. Have a great hs year!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...