Monday, January 30, 2012

Exhausted


It starts when you're pregnant and so far, after 9 years, I'm not seeing any changes...

Weary.

Tired.

Drained.

Fatigued.

Pooped.

Done In.

Depleted.

Exhausted.


What one wouldn't give for just an "all you can sleep" buffet.

When put that way, parenting doesn't really sound worthwhile, does it?

"Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate." Psalm 127:3-5


Thank goodness, that is not true though! Thank you, God, for the children you've given ME and MY HUSBAND! Read that verse again, my tired, weary friend! Children are an heritage of the Lord. The fruit of the womb is his reward! Yep, definitely sounds like children are a blessing!

However, that doesn't change the done in feeling parents get.

What happens when you get to that point to where you just can't give any more?

Give it to the Lord!

"The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble." Psalm 9:9

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; the shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

The Lord knows how weary we can get. I don't think I've had a solid night's sleep once in the last 9 years. Even when the children are sleeping at grandparents, I wake up. Force of habit, I suppose. There are mornings that I would give just about anything for one more hour's rest. Some nights feel like I don't sleep at all.

We become weary because of teething infants, we become exhausted from directing children all day (over and over and over), we become tired from worrying over our parenting skills (or lack of), we become depleted after day in and day out of constantly giving, but we aren't alone.

The Lord has promised strength and renewal to us.

A renewed spirit to become a stronger parent for the Lord.

A renewed desire to lead and direct our children.

A renewed hope that we can do this (because God is with us!).


How do you handle the exhaustion that comes from being a parent?


ChangedByTheMaker.com
”Linda’sA-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-HomePhotobucket>

yourthrivingfamily.blogspot.com





8 comments:

Jenni said...

Wonderful encouragement! I often take a nap with my baby or go to bed early so I can wake up spend time in the Word. Extra sleep and reading the Bible give refreshes me the most. :)

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

Erika,

That's some true encouragement! Our kids certainly are a blessing! I especially enjoyed the "all you can sleep" part! My kids are getting older (6 & 8), so I do sleep most nights, but I remember those "good ol' days!" Thanks for linking up at Make Life Meaningful Monday! Hope to hear more from you in the future!

Linda @ Linda's Lunacy said...

Great post! My youngest is 11, but as a mom of 6, I remember well all the sleepless years!
Thanks for linking up to Making a Home! :)

Christina said...

Lots of tiredness here! I certainly can't get through the day in my own strength for I have none. But He has plenty! Thanks for this:)

Lori @ Everyday Truth said...

I thought once the kids were older, the tired feeling would leave, but now it's a different type of tired. Before I was tired because I was up in the middle of the night. Now I'm tired because everyone has so much going on. What a great reminder that we can find rest in Jesus.

Joluise said...

My two sons are 19 and 24 and now life is so much calmer and peaceful. I seem to have so much extra time on my hands these days - so whilst you may be exhausted now with young children, when they all grow up you will miss it heaps!

Sara Shay, Your Thriving Family said...

Oh, wow. Breathe! And stay calm. That is all I can do. Because some days I don't have the energy or patience. But the older one also helps out, A LOT!

Perspective Parenting said...

Children really are the gift and the fruit of our labor! :) And sleep sometimes feels like a luxury...but rest and revival is essential in the busy life of motherhood. Thanks for sharing reminders of encouragement and revival.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...