Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Setting the Record Straight: Girl Scouts

Just for the record, I don't think that by eating a Girl Scout cookie you'll be doomed for eternity. I also don't believe it's my place to tell you what you should think or do. If you or your daughter are part of a Girl Scout troop and you have no plans of changing that, then fine! It's your choice. Your decision.

I also want to state, for the record, that I was a Brownie for one year and my girls were Daisies/Brownies last year and this year. The troop that they participated in is a great troop with great leaders. I honestly don't feel like I need to worry about anything when they are with them.

However, there's more to it than just our local troop.

And that is where the issue lies.

Let's begin by going back to the beginning.

"Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Low assembled 18 girls from Savannah, Georgia, on March 12, 1912, for a local Girl Scout meeting. She believed that all girls should be given the opportunity to develop physically, mentally, and spiritually. With the goal of bringing girls out of isolated home environments and into community service and the open air, Girl Scouts hiked, played basketball, went on camping trips, learned how to tell time by the stars, and studied first aid." -Girl Scout History


The whole purpose of Girl Scouts was simple. Get the girls learning to work together physically and in the community. It was to equip girls with things that they needed to know, to expand their knowledge.

Sadly, Girl Scouts has gotten to be more than that.

First, there's the whole Planned Parenthood partnership. What? You don't see the problem with partnering with PP? How do you feel about murder? Planned Parenthood has the following listed on their website.

If you are pregnant, you have options. If you are trying to decide if abortion is the right choice for you, you probably have many things to think about. Learning the facts about abortion may help you in making your decision. You may also want to learn more about parenting and adoption. Methods of Abortion


Now, I believe that life begins at conception and abortion is flat out murder. I also feel that by participating in Girl Scouts you would be ultimately supporting Planned Parenthood. I just can't do that.

Say No To Girl Scout Cookies is a great article written that sums everything up that I'm trying to say, too!

OK, ok... So you still don't see what the big deal is?

What about the7 year old boy who joined girl scouts? I realize this happened a couple years ago, but I'm just now finding out about this.

Seriously?! What part of girl scouts does one not get??? They have BOY scouts already!

What is the world coming to?

Think I'm making this up?

Maybe you should read: Families Boycott Thin Mints Over Girl Scout Ties With Planned Parenthood

My husband and I have decided to withdraw our support of Girl Scouts once this current year is up. We realize that we can't always avoid the bad while trying to do good. Boycotting everything that is related to something evil is probably impossible. You can, however, stand up and stand firm for issues you believe in. I cannot support an organization that compromises the purpose it was started. Juliette Low started something for girls (not boys) to where they could participate in community service projects and fresh air. It was not started as a way for sex education or allowing transgenders. While none of these issues are present locally, by my daughters being associated with Girl Scouts and myself as a troop leader, we are simply agreeing with the Girl Scouts and consequently the decisions that the Girl Scout organization makes- including partnering with Planned Parenthood and allowing boys to join.


A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

4 comments:

Tina Hollenbeck said...

I am with you, Erika! These are the reasons we have never considered allowing our daughters to be in the GS (even though, if we had sons, Boy Scouts would be encouraged). Yes, individual troops might be okay - if led by a strong, Christian woman who shields the girls from the national group's garbage. But giving the GS money in any form feels like nothing short of blood money to me in light of their support of PP. And, also, I really don't feel like supporting - in any way, shape, or form - a group that encourages confused sexuality, promiscuity, and radical feminism. Good for you!

Lisa said...

A great post, Erika. I was a GS leader for my oldest daughter's troop years ago...and then the GS council decided to make it optional for the girls to say "God" in their pledge. We dropped out after that.

Deb said...

You said what a lot of people think, great job.

Sonya Schroeder said...

God can do great things with us when we step out in obendice to Him! the world only gets worse from here. Thanks for sharing your heart!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...