Thursday, April 12, 2012

Are you different?

Are you different?

I don't mean different, like, weird... or not like everyone else.

Nope, instead I'm wondering if you are the same today that you were yesterday. Last month. Last year. 5 years ago. 10 years ago. 20 years ago.

Are you growing as a person?

God works on me constantly, but I seem to only be willing to let Him occasionally. I'm trying to be more willing to His molding. That's one of the ways I'm different today than my past.

20 years ago
I was 9 years old, I had a LOT to learn in life. I did what my parents said (or I tried... ok, at the very least, I was suppose to) and didn't really have a lot of responsibilities. Church was important to me and I went every time I could, I was the "teacher's pet", knew my memory verses, did all my assignments, etc...

10 years ago
I was newly married and realizing just how much in life I still hadn't figured out. I hadn't even grasped just how important forgiveness in a marriage was! I was pretty selfish and easily swayed. I didn't stand firm in many of my beliefs regarding vaccinations, education, or Bible translations. I guess you could say I was still discovering "who I was".

5 years ago
Started allowing God to truly shape me without standing in His way. A more natural approach to life has started to form, although it was at the very early stage. I started really standing firm in my beliefs, knowing that I was "experienced" enough to back up the why. Still have a long ways to go before I get it.

Last Year
Remember the Bible translations I talked about- the ones that I didn't question 10 years ago? Well, last year I finally feel like I'm on the right path! I became a proud KJV user. I grew up KJV, but over the course of the decade I allowed other translations to be too much part of my life. I realize that many others use various translations, but you know what? I can totally back up why I chose the KJV! The natural living has really taken off as has many other areas that God is changing in my life. Some of them are harder to handle and allow the changes in, others are easier.

Last Month
Modesty, natural hair color, and the television are topics that I've been pondering about lately. I know that God is again at work in my heart, again molding me into who He wants me to be. It's because of these new convictions that I know God is at work!

I'm excited to see where these new convictions take me. I've grown and changed a lot over a course of time. The more educated I become, the more steps I take to live by what I believe God is showing me to be right, or at least right for my family. I wouldn't grow as a person if I never changed. My understanding on chemicals in food have changed over the years... if we still ate the same food we did 3 years ago- despite me knowing better- I would still be the same person. However, we made the changes as our understanding grew, and now we are different.

It goes with everything- Bible translations, vaccinations and health, food, whatever...

Are you the same person today that you were 5 years ago? If you answer yes, then perhaps you should examine your life and see where areas of growth are needed? Maybe it's in your walk with God, or your relationship with your family, or in your understanding of food.

We should always be growing, maturing, learning.

I'm so thankful that God is always working on me, to make me who I ought to be! What are you thankful for? Come join up your Thankful Thursday posts!


4 comments:

MomLaur said...

Mmm, what a great idea to reflect on the past like that. I am most definitely different, so much has happened (probably the MOST) in my heart in the last 5 years even! I may just write this out as you have, thanks! VIsiting from Thankful Thursdays.

Tina Hollenbeck said...

I like this post idea. I may just have to do it myself. :^)

Theresa said...

I love this! I want to reflect on this and write a post about how I am growing!! Wonderful idea!

Thank you for linking up!

Stacy said...

I really have enjoyed reading your blogs! I wanted to share.. we went tv free in early 2009, which means we haven't had satellite or cable in three years. My son has never known what its like to be able to watch continuous shows. We still have dvds, but even netflix we don't stream instantly, we order dvds through the mail. My daughter has her wii video games, but other than that, we are tv free. It has been the greatest blessing my family has ever experienced. It changed my heart and the heart of my husband completely. We are a much closer family, my children play and play often. I am annoyed when I'm in a house with a television and see families or couples constantly gathered around it. Give it a week.. it'll change your life! I blogged about the first week we went TV free, if you're interested check out my blog, PS Mommy Loves you and click the television label. it was HARD, but absolutely the best decision we ever made! God bless you!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...