Monday, April 2, 2012

A mama's attempt at getting more use out of clothes!

I am so not a crafty person, but I do try to be a good homemaker.

I know I can be a good homemaker by making things last. Kids tend to grow SO fast that what fits them now might not fit them later.

Now, I realize that what I'm about to say type will disturb some of you. I realize that some of you might even take offense! I realize that some of you make all your own clothes and can't believe that someone is even doing a post about this...

But...

It's what I have to offer! I don't know why I've never thought of doing this before. After all, my oldest is almost 9! We've gotten rid of SEVERAL of these type shirts.

Curious?

If you're like me, your kids probably have several of these type shirts. Shirts that have the longer sleeve part sewn on, so it can be worn as a fall/winter shirt. I like to keep things to pass down to the others (I have three stair-stepped girls), but what do you do if the shirt was given as a gift to them specifically or it has nowhere else to be moved to?


First, turn the shirt inside out and locate where the "long sleeve" is attached.


Don't laugh, but I just cut the sleeve off! Just make sure you don't cut the hem off the shorter sleeve!


Ta da!!! Your little girl can wear her favorite shirt for ANOTHER season! Score!

Ok, you can pick yourself off the floor and quit laughing... I did this to about 10 shirts and that's 10 shirts I won't have to buy for spring/summer!

Yes. There's really a post about this.

What are ways you get more life out of your children's wardrobes?

Growing Home

6 comments:

Jennifer Lyden said...

I love this idea! I haven't sewn since high school, and even then not much. The sewing machine I used then does not work anymore, not that I would remember how to sew much anyway, so this is perfect for me. Thanks for sharing!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Okay, I am laughing, but I do LOVE this idea...This is so awesome...and it makes it possible for your kids to wear their clothes a little bit longer :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

JoyfulJ said...

My son wanted to wear his favorite long sleeve layered shirt, I decided to do this. Gonna do it tonight when he goes to bed...he'll freak if he sees me 'breaking' his favorite shirt.
It is a great idea!

A Mama's Story said...

This is really cool! I don't sew (although trying to learn) and I think I could even do this!

Thanks for sharing!

Shana said...

I think this is great. Sometimes the obvious eludes us :) Very smart!

Laura Lane said...

Very wise!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...