Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New velcro on old shoes!

I wrote a post about converting long sleeves to short sleeves to get more use out of them. I've also mentioned that I've taken leggings that the kids have grown too tall for and re-hemmed them for capris. Today, I'm sharing how I can make hand-me-down shoes last longer!

Now, all three girls are close in age and the clothes that they pass down are usually stair-stepped, just like they are. For the longest time though, we had a huge bag that contained various types of shoes. One girl might be a size 6 during the summer and require cute sandals, but another one might be a size 6 in the fall and need boots! It's worked out great because we've rarely had to buy new shoes for them- even though we have three girls. And trust me, they all have more shoes than they need!

Recently, my middle daughter needed new sneakers and so, like always, we grabbed the bag and looked at our inventory.

We came up with a pair of shoes that my oldest wore a year or so ago... pretty good condition, especially since we just needed to play in them. Only problem was that they wouldn't stay velcroed (or "taped" like my kids say).

I weighed my options. We could buy new shoes for her. Or I could figure something out.

I've been feeling crafty, so I thought it'd be fairly easy to just sew some velcro over the old velcro. Right? Wrong! I couldn't get my needle through the shoe, old velcro, and new velcro and it didn't look feasible to rip out the old stuff.

My wonderful husband came up with the great idea to just hot glue the velcro over it!

All you need is a pair of velcro shoes, new velcro roughly the same size as the old, hot glue, and a hot glue gun.


Simply hot glue the new velcro over the old velcro...


Ta-da! Newly velcroed shoes!


I get more use out of items we're blessed to have and my daughter gets to wear her older sister's shoes (a big deal)! My husband is happy because I'm not needlessly spending tons of money on things that still look nice and have use left!


What are ways you get more use out of clothing and shoes? And just as an interesting tidbit, I have a friend who uses her hot glue gun for everything! She even hot glues pictures to the walls!


Growing Homeamothersheritage.comWorks For Me Wednesdays

10 comments:

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said...

Well, isn't THAT the best idea ever!!! Thanks...that is always the part of shoes that doesn't work first. I love it.

Thanks for linking this up today!

momto8 said...

that is a great idea!!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Now that's what I call smart repurposing. I'd love to know how long the velcro stays on :) :) Great idea :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Rachel said...

Great idea Erika! Way to be crafty, frugal and a good steward :). I'll definitely be keeping this in mind for future need!

What Joy Is Mine said...

Erika...Girl...love it! Frugality at its best.

Mrs Sarah Coller said...

That is such a great idea...for bibs!!! The velcro on my kids' bibs always wears out. What a great idea to just put velcro over the top of the old stuff...duh! :) Thanks so much for the tip!

This is my first visit to your blog...have a lovely week!

Sarah

What Joy Is Mine said...

Erika...thank you for such an sweet blog. For that, I have nominated and passed on to you the Liebster Award @http://whatjoyis.blogspot.com. Check it out and bless another. :o)

Tesha said...

Great idea, I found your blog from what Joy is mine. I am also a homeschooling mommy and a pastor's wife. I am blessed to get to know you through your blog!

Angie @ Sunny Patch Cottage said...

That's a great idea!

Something else that may work on future pairs... I go through our velcro shoes (and other things) and use one of those nit combs (that come in the lice treatment kits, or buy a separate one that is metal..it works better for this purpose) and work it through both sides of the velcro to get out all the strings/link/gunk. It worked on my son's shoes and saved us from buying more (which we don't have $ for usually unless it's absolutely an emergency). I've found it works in other velcro areas, and it's something I swear by now!

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Thanks! this is a great idea, and so simple!! I have a pair to do right now!!! Thanks for sharing this neat tip!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...