Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Teaching A Struggling Student

I've mentioned before that I have a struggling student. Faith has since then mastered riding a bike without training wheels (YAY Faith!!!).


Even though she's mastered it, she still rides a little more slowly, a little more cautious than the others. She still flips out if someone comes too close to her, for fear that they'll run into her (or vice versa)!

I think the biggest challenge for her is that she is the middle daughter. Perhaps if her older sister was more than just 1 year older and her younger sister was more than just one and a half years younger things would feel differently! Maybe I wouldn't even notice it as much...

Today was a prime example of how Faith Aubrey works- and a prime example of how homeschooling is a praise for her (and me)!

We sat down this morning to work on a thank you card for her birthday presents. A couple days ago, we wrote one and it went smoothly. The comma was beautiful, the letters neat, and it didn't seem to be a struggle. Slow, but not struggling. Today was a different story. We got the salutation written (it involved three people's name). The letters were sloped and her comma was completely backwards (looked almost like an 'e'). It was more than slow. It was a struggle. She didn't cry. She didn't huff or puff. I saw it though when I looked at her. I asked her if she wanted to write the rest of it of later and she said yes.


Another incident from today was when it came time to read. Like I said, the other day seemed to be a good day for her. We read smoothly. Slow, but again, not really a struggle. We read like we usually read, we took turns reading paragraphs. One for her, one for me. I helped guide her when she hit a word she couldn't remember, gently giving her clues to figure it out. I asked questions about what she was reading. And often.

Today though, we struggled for an entire sentence. Faith couldn't seem to remember any word. She became frustrated. She was struggling big time. I gently laid her book aside and chose to instead work on flashcards with her.

I don't know why, but she rocked the flashcards!

Homeschooling is such a huge blessing to us because we are able to truly go at her own pace. I don't know why on some days school isn't really a struggle for her and other days it is! I don't know why some days reading is easy while other days it isn't. I do know that I can allow her to have her rough days and redirect when needed. She isn't expected to finish something just because of a certain day/lesson plan we are on. If she was public school she would be expected to work on whatever the rest of the class was working on. She would be expected to progress at a certain speed. What a blessing it is to be able to be flexible!

I am so thankful that God has blessed me with Faith Aubrey! I am so thankful that God allows us to homeschool. I am so thankful that God created Faith in His image! I am so thankful that God has allowed me to be in Faith's life!

Struggling student? What do you do to help them?

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Hi there! I just wanted to say I stumbled on your blog and I am SO glad that I did! I've really enjoyed reading through your recent posts :) Thank you for sharing, it helps a lot when you have a slightly discouraged homeschool mommy who may just need some encouragment! God bless you, and I'm very much looking forward to more reading!

Erika said...

Stacy, THANK YOU for your sweet, sweet words! It is so easy to become discouraged in our homeschooling journey, but if you keep your eyes focused on the big picture and the One who ultimately is in charge it does make it easier. You are not alone! Thank you for dropping by! Come again! :-)

Joy said...

I highly reccomend you read any Dorothy and Raymond Moore bookes about homeschooling and even attend a Carole Joy Seid seminar. They are wonderful about struggling students and why they do most of which is developmental something they will out grow if given time. Just found your blog though deep roots at home! Great blog you have! I'm also a home schooling mother to three.
Joy

Joy said...

I highly reccomend you read any Dorothy and Raymond Moore bookes about homeschooling and even attend a Carole Joy Seid seminar. They are wonderful about struggling students and why they do most of which is developmental something they will out grow if given time. Just found your blog though deep roots at home! Great blog you have! I'm also a home schooling mother to three.
Joy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...