Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thankful...

In three weeks our family will be heading west. To say we are excited would be an understatement. However.... for mom it's more than just exciting. It's daunting!

The reason we're making this trip is for our mission. Our church association has their national meeting once a year and this year it's out west. It's about a 1400 mile trip one way! It's requiring two nights hotel stays after full days of driving PLUS a few hours on day 3 just to get there! I'm not worried about how my family will do- they rock as travelers. There's just a LOT that I have to get done and if I'm not careful, I tend to become overwhelmed.

"Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31


It's a verse that quickly comes to mind when I'm starting to stress over:

1. My oldest who has a severe food allergy- making sure there will be plenty of food, a list of the right questions to ask when we eat out at a new restaurant, plenty of medicine (epi-pens and Benadryl), and a food card to give to give to any cooks.

2. Our booth- at our church meeting we will have a booth that will need to have all kinds of information about our work here in rural Nebraska. Not just facts, but pictures, fun facts, data, and whatever else we come up with. We want people to see how important this work is and what God is doing. That, alone, is a task!

3. Clothes- I need to make sure we have enough clothes that I don't have to wash all the time, but not too many clothes that it cramps our already tight van! They also have to be proper clothes, with proper shoes, but comfy too!

4. Keeping everybody happy- like I've said, it's a long trip so I want to make sure that I do what I need to to ensure quality traveling conditions. A few new movies or CDs would be nice. Can't forget to plan for things the kids can do while we are at the booth or in meetings.

By nature, I'm a planner. I get that from my dad. I plan everything. Drives my husband insane, but it's definitely a good quality to have at times.

All of a sudden though, it hit me.

It doesn't matter what I'm doing, I should do it for the glory of God. Stressing out about things isn't giving Him the glory! It's because of Him that I have all of these things, anyway!

Because of God I have:

Children. Even if one has a severe food allergy, He gave them to me! And He will keep her safe! And He will give me what I need to help keep her safe.

A mission to present at our association, plus the means to travel 1400 miles one way! He gave us a great sponsoring church. He gave me a creative mind to put together a display. He gave me a great family who enjoys traveling. Sure, it'll be long and tiring, but He will provide us with the energy and strength to do it!

Clothes. In the end, who cares if I have to wash one too many times or for that matter, if I packed one too many suitcases. He has blessed us with clothes to wear. He has provided my husband with the means to make sure we have the clothes that we need- new (even if they are just new to us) shoes, skirts, shirts, whatever!

Happiness. Sure, there will be times when we travel that tempers become short, but for the most part we all travel well! We love seeing new places and experiencing new things as a family. My kids don't require much and while mommy would LOVE to give them more things, they don't want (or need) them! We have everything we need.

I need to remember this. Now, tomorrow, and in a couple of weeks. Everything I do should give God the glory. Simply traveling to a new state should bring Him glory. Being happy with what we have should bring Him glory. Not stressing out should bring Him glory.

Today, I'm thankful for my family, clothes, and the ability to travel. What are you thankful for?


3 comments:

Theresa said...

What a great opportunity! I am a planner too. I can't wait to read about how 1400 miles in the car with the kids goes!!!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Road trips can be really, really fun. I pray that you'll find good, safe places to eat, too :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather ;) :) :)

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Hello, Erika,
I have been here several times, and I love what I am seeing. Have a wonderful time on your trip, and I am praying right now for your safety and time together as a family. May the grace and love of God go with you, sister!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...