Friday, May 11, 2012

They're watching!

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

As a parent, I want to make sure that my children are focused on God and heading down the path that He has chosen for them. However, there's more to training a child than just keeping their focus on the right things!

If you've ever spent a few minutes with a child, then you know how closely they examine you. We're often told that imitation is the greatest form of flattery, but if we're not setting a good example then imitation becomes an embarrassment.

Are we showing our children how an adult should act?

My son was so proud when his daddy allowed him to have his first shave. Isaiah is 4 years old and has watched his daddy shave many times. It was natural for him to take his "razor" and "scrape" the shaving cream off his face because he's seen his daddy do it so many times.


But what else is he seeing?

Is he seeing his daddy fully rely on God when times get tough?
Is he seeing how much his daddy loves his mommy?
Is he seeing a man willing to work hard to care for his family?
Is he seeing how to respect others?

The same can be said for my daughters...


These lovely girls are watching my every move. They are watching to see if I keep my cool when life gets overwhelming. Their eyes are watching me in the kitchen as I bake for my family and their ears are listening to see how often (or if) I complain about all the things I have to do? They are checking out what I wear, how I act, and what I say.

They are waiting to see if I have double standards. Do as I say, not as I do.

Training a child isn't an easy thing. Training a child is not just an 8 hour a day job. Training a child begins at birth, 24/7, until they are grown.

Training a child is more than just keeping their eyes focused on God.

Training a child begins with your actions!


They're looking up to you... are you aware of your every action?



2 comments:

Rachel Q said...

So true! Something I need to remind myself of daily!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Really good post and so true, because kids really do watch us, even when we think they aren't :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...