Monday, June 11, 2012

Life Without....

..... Facebook or a TV.

That's what we've experienced last week and I am so happy we did! It was wonderful!

All too often I find myself sucked into the world of Facebook. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Facebook. There is something wrong if your whole life is consumed by it, though! I had gotten into a very bad habit of Facebook being the first thing I checked when I woke up and the last thing I checked before going to bed. Plus, I was on it. A lot. Some of the things I did was ministry connected, others not so much. If I wasn't on Facebook, I was watching TV. Ok, maybe it wasn't that extreme, but it was definitely overkill. I watched TV in the afternoon during the kids quiet time and in the evening with the hubby.

The kids weren't any better. TV was on the first thing in the morning, and often they'd watch a movie during quiet time, and then the TV was on again in the evening.

Too much of the one eyed monster!

For some of you, this is your every day life. TV, Facebook, video games. For others, this is exactly opposite of how your life is! You don't have a TV in your home or you are extremely limited in how much you watch it!

So.... what did I do this last week?

We did the normal things, like grocery shopping and school. I've also spent a HUGE amount of time preparing our mission display for the upcoming meeting.



We did a LOT of playing! Nick and Isaiah have spent a lot of time on the floor playing with Isaiah's big trucks- crashing them into each other mainly. It's been wonderful for this mama's heart to see her little boy bonding with his daddy in such a way. I don't have to worry about Isaiah not having a strong male role model. I'm truly blessed to have a wonderful husband who will spend time on the floor banging trucks around!



We also played together. I can't tell you the last time we set together and played a game, but this past week we dug out Memory and played it. Wonderful memories.


It was too windy one day to do our original plans, so we improvised and made "hillbilly kites". Seriously, SO MUCH FUN! The kids played with them all morning, and then the next day, and the next! I probably wouldn't have thought about it had I been wrapped up in other things.



I read. I prayed. I had my own personal quiet time. When I don't have a million distractions trying to get my attention (like Facebook, or a favorite TV show) I automatically turn to my first loves- spending time with God and reading. I actually finished reading a book and then read a whole other book! I worked on my personal Bible study.

My husband brought me a sweet, thoughtful gift. A candle from my favorite candle shop. He had no problem choosing a scent either. He brought home a lilac one. Why? Because he knew I missed my lilac bush. They just didn't blossom much this year like they did last year. Ladies, my husband very rarely brings home a gift! And I'm okay with it! Because when he does, he does it with meaning!



I had the opportunity to attend a sewing class with Mistic. It was through the local 4H, a day camp with many different classes. She chose one per day though. Parents were told upfront that they could stay. My nine year old wanted me to stay! How awesome is that? Her 1 1/2 sewing class turned into a 2 1/2 hour sewing class- they were making pillowcases. We discovered that she sewed like her mama. Slowly and tediously and with lots of seamripping! She had fun though and learned from it. All I did was sit and watch, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. It's a moment in her life that she chose to include me. And because I wasn't sitting there playing on my phone I saw every moment of it!



I took a nap! It was AH-MA-ZING! I often feel the need to lie down, just for a few minutes, but I get too consumed with other things that I neglect myself. Not this week. I was tired, so I laid down.

The next class that Mistic took was a bee class, learning about the hive and whatnot. She invited her daddy to tag along so I sat and read with the three children left at home. How many times have my children asked me to do something and I've told them no because I thought I was too busy?

My husband and I sat and talked in the evenings, when we weren't working on the mission display. We sat together and read. Our minds were actually used!

I learned a very valuable lesson. Facebook and TV are fine, but there is nothing like building relationships. Those moments are truly priceless.

Have you unplugged, even for just a short amount of time? What lessons did you learn from it?



The Better Mom
The Modest Mom
Monday Musings
Mama Moments Monday
Hip Homeschool Hop
Titus 2sday
Teach Me Tuesdays

6 comments:

m said...

So very true! FB and TV take over our lives too much! This wknd we took away much of that! We went to the beach, played games, soccer, baseball, read, drew/colored, played hangman and even took in a movie at the drive in :) It is wonderful making memories! The moments, how important they truly are! Stoppin by from simplyhelpinghim.com

Judith said...

I enjoyed reading about your family. I especially liked hearing that you homeschooled from start to finish and now have chosen to homeschool your own children. It must be a decision of your own.

Judith said...

Oops, forgot to tell you that I hopped over from 'What Joy is Mine'

Cam said...

I am slowly talking my husband into the no tv thing. I grew up with no cable tv, and I'm completely fine with going back to that! Plus it'd save so much money!Hopefully he'll be on board soon! Great post! :)

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Oh, LOVED this post :) :) :) I'm taking more of a break from Facebook and tv. It's really nice :) :) I find that I get more stuff done around the house :) :)

Oh, those hillbily kites look like FUN> Maybe you could do a post about that?

Love and hugs from the ocean shores of CAlifornia, Heather :)

A Mama's Story said...

This is great! And my daughter and I are planning to take sewing classes together in a couple of weeks.

Thanks so much for sharing. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...