Monday, August 27, 2012

A Confession

I've not been as natural as I should have been....

There. I said it.

I confessed.

There's a big part of me that truly desires to lead a very healthy life. Then there's reality.

And I'll admit. All this GMO talk is confusing and shopping at my grocery store does not make choosing real food easy.

Plus, it's been summer and summer for us means a lot of travel and a lot of busyness!

Bread has been bought, not made... and only occasionally has that bread been "healthy". This last week, I bought the cheapest bread possible- full of horrible ingredients.

Pop has been bought almost daily at the gas station and yes, my kids have even drank Coke.

Dessert has consisted of ice cream- almost nightly- and cookies, too!

Exercise has been almost non-existent.

Chips, crackers, you name it....

Processed foods have taken over my house and slowly pushed the fruit and veggies out the front door.

Yes, I'm serious.

Sadly, I'm serious.

Have I given up? Am I going back to old ways?

NOPE!

It just means that I have more of a fight to put up.

I've been tired. Overworked. I've been dealing with sinus problems the last two weeks. I've been traveling in one van with four kids and a husband- a lot! I'm just worn out.

I've grown discouraged shopping at my grocery store. I talk a lot about how options that are "real food" are few and often not very appealing (it doesn't look pretty at the store due to them being bruised, or bad in other ways). I've grown discouraged with finding meat that had cows that didn't eat corn but grass. Eggs that were not only cage free, but were fed bugs and not just corn. Tired that corn wasn't okay, because it was genetically modified. Milk wasn't good for us either- organic or not.

What am I going to do?

For starters, I'm taking a deep breath and taking back control. My goal is to be healthy. To have a healthy family.

Second, I'm not going to whig out over every. single. choice. I will be okay with the occasional treat, but that the treats will be occasional!

I will also make the best out of my situation. Meaning, I will bake/make from scratch what I can and choose wisely and wise for my family.

I'll also kick the chips, cookies, and crackers out the front door and replace them with fruits and veggies.

When we travel, I will not allow that to be an excuse for whatever goes!

And next summer, I will try not to let it overwhelm me!

Do you ever get overwhelmed by what you are and aren't suppose to eat? Do find it easier to eat healthy at certain times of the year? Any advice to those who struggle with the good, bad, and ugly?


Linked up with....
Better Mom Mondays, Mama Moments Mondays, and Raising Arrows

3 comments:

Rachel @ day2day joys said...

I know how ya feel girl, hang in there! You are working toward the right goal!

Cheryl said...

It's all a process of baby steps... So glad to have found you today. I'm your newest follower :)

~Kate F. said...

So good to hear that I'm not the only one! I really enjoy your blog and just wanted to let you know that we all struggle. I have some serious health issues that mandate eating a very "clean" diet, but sometimes I am too sick to keep up with it! (Which just leads to nowhere good.) Praise God that you have the ability to see/admit the problem, make an action plan, and have a little "give" in your health! :) When I get really, really behind, it helps to focus on what I *can* do to work toward the goal of better eating, cleaner kitchen, etc. I notice that when I do a lot of smaller things, they pave the way for the bigger stuff. Good luck Lady!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...