Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Breaking Up Chest Congestion

Cough. Cough. Cough.

Don't grab the Mucinex to break up the congestion happening in your chest, instead go to the kitchen and grab yourself a nice, big onion.

Yep! An onion!

Do you know what you're going to do next? I didn't when I first heard of this remedy and I was highly skeptical. It's called an onion poultice and there are many variations of it. The idea, however, remains the same. It helps to kill the bacteria and enters your body quicker than if you consume it.

Onions- when consumed- helps lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol. Onions, in general, have huge antibacterial purposes!

The bottom line is that onions are great when it comes to keeping you healthy!

Cough. Cough. Cough.

Take that onion and make yourself a poultice to help break up all that junk!

Onion Poultice


Slice up the onion and lightly sauteed it on the stove with just a little bit of water.



Once the onion become soft, not brown, remove it from the stove and drain any excess water.

Lay the onions on a lightweight cloth (or cheesecloth) and let them cool enough not to burn your skin! Fold the towel up like a burrito and place it on the chest.




I've read that you can leave it on your chest from 20 minutes-all day or night. When my son, 4 1/2, needed it, I left it on him for 20 minutes. I would have left it on for a little longer, but Isaiah was FINISHED with it!

My testimony
Isaiah spent the previous night coughing. All night long! When morning arrived, in my sleep deprived state, I asked my Facebook friends what else I should try. I had already been trying natural cough medicine, nettles and eyebright, cherry bark, etc... That day, I diligently gave him elderberry and vitamin C, special teas, and continued the cherry bark. I had his humidifier on and him breathing in eucalyptus. That next night, when he went to bed I was hopeful that my diligence had paid off and he would sleep well. Within an hour, he was awake hacking! I first thought about a steam shower, but we had no hot water due to two loads of towels being washed. I then remembered what some of my friends said- try an onion poultice! After 20 minutes, Isaiah was ready to go back to bed and he slept all night!

My husband remembers his great-grandma doing this to him when he was a child. Old time remedies still work!

Have you used an onion poultice?


3 comments:

frogdiva said...

I so wish I could try this, but the smell of onions triggers headaches for me :(

But still, it's awesome that it worked for your son!

Michele said...

A friend of mine put slices of onions in the feet her baby's sleeper. He had a cold and was running fever. It drew the fever out! Crazy I know, but it works! I've done Vicks salve on Hannah's feet when she wad congested, and that worked well too!

Debbie said...

I like using onions for congestion. It works very well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...