Monday, September 17, 2012

Treating Ear Infections Naturally (guest post)

Hello, Slowly Natural friends! I’m honored to be guest posting here, today.

My name is Leanne Whitaker, I am a stay-at-home mom, homeschool teacher, and hobby farmer, and in my other neck of the internet woods, you’ll typically find me blogging, at My Happy Homestead about gardening and my beginner attempts at creating the “perfect” home and garden.

Today, I’m going to lay those subjects aside and talk with you about another subject that interests me – natural, holistic medicine - and specifically about natural ways to combat ear infections. As you probably are well aware, ear infections, or otitis media, are the most common illness affecting babies and young children, and the number one reason for visits to the pediatrician.

Now, I’m not a member of the medical field, nor do I have any medical training, but over the years, as I’ve taken on different medical challenges in my own family, I have learned a great deal about the human body and ways to assist it, naturally, in the healing process. I am also the mother of four nearly-grown children, now ages 19, 16, 15, and 13, and remember well the many sleepless nights I spent caring for my infant and toddler children as we struggled to deal with ear infections the traditional way.

So, I thought I would share, with you, today, the top two successful, natural ways that I learned to treat them, and how we made this worrisome childhood ailment a thing of the past, in our home.

So, here we go…
1. Chiropractic care. Says Dr. Joan Fallon, a chiropractor who practices in Yonkers, New York, chiropractic treatments work by “ mobilizing drainage of the ear in children”. Medical doctor William Sears, a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and a fellow of the Royal College of Pediatricians (RCP) agrees and says, “I firmly believe that chiropractic adjustments to the skull and neck can improve middle ear drainage and decrease ear infections.” According to Dr. Fallon, if the child “continues to drain without a buildup of fluid and subsequent infection, they [will] build up their own antibodies and recover more quickly. Once they fight it themselves, they tend to do very well and stay away from ear infections completely.” I can attest to this fact, myself. Our oldest child had chronic ear infections when he was a toddler. His ears were constantly filled with fluid. He was almost always in constant pain, and, before I learned how to deal with the problem naturally, we exhausted nearly every antibiotic on the planet (at least it seemed that way) with absolutely no resolution to the problem. We were headed straight for a tympanostomy, or "ear tubes", when a friend, who also happened to be a chiropractor, asked if we’d be willing to give chiropractic adjustments a try. I have to say that I was more than skeptical, but I was desperate to see my son free from the chronic, crippling pain he was in, so we took him up on his offer. After just two weeks of treatment, to my surprise and delight, the fluid in one of his ears was completely gone -- something that we’d not managed to do for nearly a year under traditional medical care! We kept up with the chiropractic visits, and at the end of one month, we were astounded to find out that the second ear was also fluid-free. After that, my son became ear infection free! Yes, there were still times when he, and my other three children, complained about ear pain, however, between the chiropractor and the second method I’m going to talk about, we never had to administer another spoonful of antibiotics or face the possibility of ear surgery again. I am so thankful for my friend who reached out and showed us that there was a better way .

2. Mullein-Garlic Drops. As I said, before we found out about chiropractic care for draining the fluid from the ears, we were combatting our son’s ear infections the traditional way, with antibiotics . From repeated use, our son eventually became allergic to all “sulfa” drugs. Not only that, but he also developed an allergic reaction to all over-the-counter pain medications: Aspririn, Ibuprofen, Aceteminophen – you name it, he broke out in hives from every synthetic medication we put into him. Because my son was no longer able to safely take any pain medication, I was forced to seek out an alternative form of pain relief for him. Another friend introduced me to a product that she had been using on her children for ear pain and infections: Mullein-Garlic Compound from Herb Pharm: http://www.herb-pharm.com/. She told me that the mullein in the compound worked as a natural pain reliever, and the garlic acted as a natural antibiotic. Again, I was amazed at how effective a natural pain reliever could be – it quickly relieved the pain, and brought comfort to my son. From that time on, Mullein-Garlic Compound became a staple in our family’s medicine chest. Anytime a family member complained of ear pain, I immediately placed a drop of the hand-warmed oil in their ear, covered it with a cotton ball, and let it do its magic. (A word of caution from Dr. Sears, “if you see any liquid or pus draining out of the ear”, he says, “DO NOT PUT ANY DROPS INTO THE EAR.”)

Are you are dealing with chronic ear infections? Are you looking for a natural way to make them go away? Perhaps you might want to consider a trip to the chiropractor and/or a visit to the Herb-Pharm website to see if these natural forms of healing might work for you. To find a doctor of chiropractic in your area, just visit the ACA website at http://www.acatoday.org/search/memsearch/.

What other natural solutions for ear infections have you found to be successful? Have you ever tried chiropractic treatments for your children’s ear infections? If so, what have your results been?


Thanks for letting me share a part of my journey to a more natural, holistic way to deal with our family’s common medical ailments. If you’d like to see what I’m doing in my other part of the internet world, I’d love to have you visit my site at: My Happy Homestead, or join in on the conversation on my Facebook page.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks so much for your post! I like to be prepared and informed especially in this area :)... Will definitely be checking out the garlic mullein oil.

Leanne Whitaker said...

Thanks, Laura. Being prepared and taking a pro-active stance when it comes to health care is very wise. Glad you enjoyed the post, and I hope that you experience the same, great results from the ear drops that I have, should the need arise.

fungusclinic said...

Garlic mullein oil works like a medicine and according to me garlic mullein oil prevents from ear infections. If you have ear pain from any type of infection then just You can also soak the oil in a cotton ball and place inside the ear.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...