Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Is Halloween really THAT bad?

This is a highly controversial topic and I am in no way judging you or your family for the choices you make for your family.

Here are my thoughts on the topic... Take it or leave it.

Image courtesy o / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Before getting into the facts of the holiday, let's talk about the term "Trick or treat?" Am I the only one who thinks that term is just plain rude? We (hopefully) teach our children to be polite, but one this one day of the year it's okay for them to utter this term. If you don't give me a treat, watch out for the trick?! Egging and TPing houses? Mild vandelism? Hello?! I don't allow threats at home, I'm not going to allow them on October 31st.

What about GREED? Every child is going to want more and more candy.

Plus, this is a really unhealthy holiday! Nothing natural about filling bags with sugary candy. I'm just throwing that in from a "Slowly Natural" viewpoint. I'm not against candy, but...

The fact, however, is that Halloween began with a group of people called the Celtics who believed in a god, Samhain, who was the god of dead and darkness. They started celebrating their new year which was when they believed the dead spirits would come back to visit their relatives. Seems evil to me. Nothing good about that.

November 1st is All Saint's Day and November 2nd is All Soul's Day. The Catholic church had those days set aside to honor the saints and to pray for those who were recently departed who may not have reached Heaven yet. In the 8th century, the Pope created All Saint's Day in attempt to end the observance of Samhain. It's traditionally thought that souls would wander the earth until All Saint's Day and All Hallow's Eve (October 31st) gave the departed souls one last chance for revenge on their enemies.

Those "harmless" costumes came from Christians wearing masks to avoid being recognized from those souls! And don't think that just because it's a "tame" costume like a puppy dog or Mickey Mouse that it makes it better. Traditionally, the costumes were all about monsters, ghosts, skeletons, witches, and devils. It's been a recent thing to have costumes fashioned after popular characters and such.

Image courtesy o / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
The pumpkins that are carved came from the Samhain custom of carving turnips into lanterns. Why? To remember the souls held in purgatory. Baptist do not believe in purgatory. We switched to pumpkins because they were easier to carve than a turnip. History tells us, however, the originally, we carved pumpkins because of harvest, not Halloween. It wasn't until the mid to late 19th century that it became associated with Halloween. Why, oh why, could we not have left it at harvest???

Don't think it has connections to paganism? Celtic Neopagans consider the season a holy time of year. Celtic Reconstructionists, and others who maintain ancestral customs, make offerings to the gods and the ancestors.

Gothic.
Horror.
Death.
Evil.
Occult.
Magic.

These things are synonymous with Halloween.

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything good about it.

October 31st is a day that witchcraft happens full force. It is not a harmless day, full of dressing up in cute costumes and getting candy. Evil really does happen on this day. You can thank the Catholic church (I have nothing against the Catholics, I have family who I love dearly that are Catholic) for putting this day as a "holiday". It has always been a satanic day. Yes, while you are out trick-or-treating there is someone worshiping Satan.

Scary.

I've heard it argued that every “Christian” holiday began as a pagan holiday? However, I disagree. Take Christmas and Easter. Christmas began when Jesus was born in a manger and Easter began when Jesus died on the cross. Sure, we turned it into a pagan holiday by adding Christmas trees, strands of lights, the Easter bunny, but it did not begin that way! Halloween began that way!

I've heard it said that anything can be made evil? ABSOLUTELY TRUE, but Halloween has always been evil! (<--Tweet This!)

What about from a the biblical perspective?

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Image courtesy o / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

You cannot tell me that Halloween is not evil. Just take a walk down the holiday aisle at Walmart and tell me that it isn’t. Scary ghosts, goblins, witches, vampires are everywhere!

And remember.... Halloween can be traced back to a false god of dead and darkness.

I truly believe that Halloween is an evil, satanic holiday and I do not understand how Christians can look at the facts and ignore the truth. However, it has been accepted in people's homes everywhere and is in our church's. It is the accepting of evil that has gotten our nation into the trouble it is in today. Good people who would rather fit in than be set apart.


"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2

If it is not good, acceptable, perfect do not accept it. Do not accept it if it isn't the will of God.



Shared with:
Women Living Well Wednesdays
Encourage One Another
Homemaking Linkup
Titus 2sday
Courtship Connections

14 comments:

SewJacki said...

Well said! Our exact reasons for not celebrating Halloween.

Jills Home Remedies said...

Great article! I agree completely!

Jen said...

Thank you for your post! That was awesome! I appreciate you covering the history of Halloween. I thought about it but I chose not to do that in my posts about Halloween. I agree, I don't know how we as Christians can possibly look at Halloween as anything other than evil. Today is day 2 for my Halloween posts.

Jacqueline said...

I appreciate this post so much. The main reason is based on Philippians 4: 8: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phil. 4: 8
Thank you, Erika
I'd love it if you would link it up over at Deep Roots :)

Cheryl said...

I've been asking that same question: "How can Christians see the evidence and yet ignore the proof." We live in the country on 15 dream acres. Two years after moving here a family bought the property next door and promptly opened a commercial Halloween Trail which runs every Friday and Saturday night in October. Bleh! The worst part??? They claim to be born-again believers and our children have sang at their church. I seriously do not get it.

Tina Hollenbeck said...

I totally agree as well and will be re-posting my (anti)Halloween post next week.

Canadagirl said...

I totally agree with you on Halloween but I have to disagree that Christmas started as Christian. Jesus was not born that time of year. Please go watch this video put out by a Christian on the history of the pagan roots of Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjI_uf0S1EM

It is a eye opener. I do celebrate Jesus but not with the pagan roots that are so deep. Sorry about being a wet rag but I had to share this.

-Mary

Erika said...

Mary,

I understand that December 25th is not Jesus' actual day of birth, my point was simply that there would be no Christmas- no reason to celebrate His birth- regardless of rather it's December or July- had He not been born. Halloween has nothing like that! :-)

Tiffanie said...

Thank you for being bold and speaking the Truth on this! It's shocking, the responses I've heard, from Christians!

Tiffanie said...

Thank you for being bold and speaking the Truth on this! It's shocking, the responses I've heard, from Christians!

Upstatemamma said...

Sooooo..... I'm not dissing your beliefs at all. I respect that you feel that way and your choice to not celebrate. I'm Catholic and I've debated the Halloween thing for years. However, you could site pagan traditions in all holidays - the Christmas tree, egg hunts on Easter, etc. So, for us we enjoy the fun aspect of dressing up as some of our favorite characters - this year I have Meg (the heroine in Disney's Hercules), Boo (the little girl in Monsters Inc) and a police officer. I take the trem trick or treat as the social phrase for Halloween but I would NEVER allow any "Halloween tricking."

You may (most likely are) more right then I am but this is what I am comfortable with and so that is what we do. The main thing, I think, is the intent behind what we do as individuals - not the historical impact. Just my opinion - given with total respect for yours. :)

Jacqueline said...

I totally agree with your post! We have never celebrated and when our children were little they heard me say (a bit sarcastically), "That's awful!" For the rest of their childhoods that is what they have said about Halloween and the creepy costumes and images..."That's awful!"
Blessings to you Erika!

P Family said...

I traced back to this post from your Christmas 2012 post because I sometimes feel I am the ONLY person in the valley who is uncomfortable with Halloween. One pastor's wife expressed to me how she LOVED the event, how cute it is to dress up,and those "old" reasons are diminished when we take their pagan day and turn it good. I am trying to understand that.Another local church works very hard to have a upbeat party for the county to attend that night-it is a major ministry for them, as it is sometimes the FIRST time locals have set foot into church. Then they are more comfy to come back. Sigh. I still don't like it. I wish we could all stand apart and be kind, but REAL about what the world is about. If my parents take my kids around the neighborhood, I do not let them say "trick or treat." I agree - just plain RUDE. Good thoughts you have here.

Jumara said...

Amen! I never really celebrated Halloween anyway, but several years ago I met a 16 year old kid who just so happened to have grown up Druid. He began to explain all the things they do on Holloween and for full moon and new moons. This was real. It wasn't a movie. This was a kid who actively believed this stuff and lived it out along with his family. I met his dad soon after and you could feel a tangible darkness around him. I told him as much and he answered me and said, "Yes, they are demons and I know them all by name." He proceeded to tell me, throughout our conversation
that he could never turn to Christ because he had essentially given himself over to satan. I witnessed to him about the saving grace through Jesus Christ anyway. A couple years later I ran across them again and that man had come to Christ!!! I know that all sounds crazy, but it really happened. Now I encourage people to remove themselves and abstain from all things holloween. There is more to it than playing dress up. Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...