Monday, November 26, 2012

Children & Their Health Week Long Series, Day 1

Welcome to my week-long series concerning children's health. This is such an important topic for me- with 4 children of my own. But it's also an important topic because our children are the future. We need them to be healthy now more than ever!

I've asked several other health bloggers to join me this week and we've got some great topics in store.

Today, I'm sharing the basics to children's health. Things I do for my own children's health.

Guest Posts Schedule
Tomorrow- Sara Elizabeth from A Mama's Story
Wednesday- Jill from Jill's Home Remedies
Thursday- Jasmine from Like A Mustard Seed
Friday- Beth from Modern Alternative Mama


Jasmine and her hubby are currently raising money for adoption.

PLEASE.... go buy some Avodah coffee and help them raise money! (Tweet This)

You can find details on Like A Mustard Seed- look on the right hand sidebar!


Now, my children and their health is very important to me. In the 9 years of being a parent, my ways of keeping them healthy has changed. What I did when my oldest was a baby was a far cry from what my youngest did as a baby. My oldest two daughters wore disposable diapers only, but my youngest daughter was cloth diapered. My oldest daughter was fed jarred baby food, but by the time my youngest came along I was feeding him mushed avocados for his first food. I never breastfed my daughters, but did my son. As a parent, you grow with your child. I don't know where you are on your parenting journey, but we all wish the best for our children.

Here are a few of the things that I make a priority:

Image courtesy of siraphat / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


1. Play outside as much as possible. The fresh air and the straight vitamin D are vital to a healthy body, but so is the exercise they get from running around or jumping on the trampoline. They do enjoy their down time, reading or watching a movie, but movement is vital for health.
Image courtesy of Arvind Balaraman / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2. Provide plenty of fruits and veggies. We're still on our natural living journey, meaning that at times food dyes, GMOs, and "junk food" enter our homes and bodies. These instances are becoming less and less often, but it happens. I make it a priority to make sure that I have plenty of organic fruits and veggies. When I cannot find organic, I make an effort that they aren't on the dirty dozen list. Mid-morning or mid-afternoon snacks are almost always a fruit or veggie and that's what they get after they've eaten their meal, but still claim to be hungry. 

Image courtesy of pat138241 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


3. Watch what they drink. Again, yes, a pop is something they occasionally consume, however, it is happening less and less frequently and I never keep them stocked in the home. My children have access to all the water they want, it's placed on a shelf in the fridge that they can reach and pour themselves. Occasionally, they drink organic milk or not-from-concentrate juice. Water keeps them properly hydrated, allowing their body to function properly.
Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

4. Never ending love. Lots of hugs and kisses, special cuddles, words of affirmation. Part of having healthy children include being healthy emotionally. Be ready with hugs, no matter what. Never parent in anger. Parents are human, but that never gives us the right to belittle our children or to say things out of haste and emotions. Choose your words carefully, but I always go back to "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Colossians 4:6. Grace- something that isn't deserved. Let your child know that you are proud of them, that you love them, and that you would do anything for them. Keep your cool and never say anything you would regret.
Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

 5. Don't forget the spiritual side. Teach them about God and God's will for them. Let them see first hand HOW to talk to God, HOW to listen to God, and HOW to be obedient to God. "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." Deuteronomy 6:5-7 

I realize that my list is somewhat vague. All of these topics can be explored very deeply. However, this list is an excellent starting place.

Come back tomorrow for more about children's health!


Have you entered my Berkey Sports Water Bottle Giveaway?

     

   


The Better Mom Mondays
The Modest Mom
Mama Moments Monday
What Joy Is Mine Monday's Musings
Welcome Home Linkup
Natural Living Mondays

2 comments:

mamarosemary.com said...

Great ideas! Number 4 is my fav.
Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/Clever-Chicks-Blog-Hop-12.html



I hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...